The science education programme aims to equip the students with the necessary knowledge, skills and competencies needed for effective teaching of science at the elementary and secondary levels. It provides opportunities to explore scientific concepts through hands-on activities, and thus develops the curiosity, creativity and critical thinking of the students. Throughout the course there is an emphasis on the teaching of process skills and thinking skills. The course develops the ability of participants to include well-focused practical work in their teaching which links knowledge development with practical skills enhancement. During the course, there are a series of opportunities to teach to your peer’s content from the curriculum and to receive peer’s feedback and tutor’s guidance.
There is also a focus on collaborative skills development to enhance the trainee teachers’ ability to work as a part of a team in a school. This is done through the preparation and exhibition of student work i.e. models, materials, and resources. The science laboratory provides an opportunity to instill good attitudes and habits by allowing trainees to observe and select appropriate practices and perform laboratory operations safely.
- Teaching methods
- The department focuses on the following methods of teaching:
- Activity-based science teaching method
- Group/individual presentations
- Whole class and group discussions
- Individual and group tutorials
- Project work (Science garden project)
- Field trips (Zoological garden, botanical garden, PIA- planetarium)
Methods for Assessment
Following methods of assessment are being used by the department to assess the students.
- Content based tests
- Reflective journals
Brief Course Description
- Science Foundation Studies I ( 4 credit hours )
- Science Foundation Studies II ( 4 credit hours)
- Teaching of Chemistry ( 4 credit hours)
- Teaching of Physics ( 4 credit hours)
- Teaching of Biology ( 4 credit hours)
- Workshop Early Year’s Science Teaching (15 glh)
- Workshop Teaching Science at Primary Level (15 glh)
- Workshop Teaching Science at Elementary Level (15 glh)
- Workshop Science is Fun (15 glh)